Friday, November 7, 2008

Reading Assignement #10

Web-Search Engine Article: Povided a pretty good overview of the history of search engines and how things work.

--It was realy interesting to see how the "curtain" is again pulled away on how things work. It's more than just type in a word and hit enter that is for sure.

--The term "Politeness" made me smirk, because it (for lack of a better phrase) It is what it is.

--Interesting to see that Spammers aren't out to just annoy poeple but there is a good peice of change to be made of off web-sites if a person is smart/shrewsd enough to work the system.

--I used to think that a web-counter didn't serve much of a prupose...was I wrong about that.

O-A-I Article: Nice overview article about the Open Archives Initiative.

--One phrase that stood out to me was, "No one service provider can serve the needs of the entire public." For some reason I thought (sarcastically), "That is going to come as such a shock to Microsoft."

---It was interesting to see how the universities came together for the Sheet Music Consortium.

--While reading ERRoLs it was interesting to see XML pop up foro time to time, but then all those abbreviations once again made my eyes start to cross.

Bergaman Article: Until I read this article I had no clue what the deep web was.

--The opening illustration was pretty accurate and alson when you think about it when we search for something on-line we are casting out a net opening to catch something of value in it.

--Lots of good illustrations helped me make sense of what I was reading.

---Never fully realized how complex the web really was.

--When reading the distribution of deep sites by subject I was surprised to see that humanities was the highest ranked one. I thought for sure it would be politics...I guess coming out of the election season will do that to one's way of thinking.

Muddy Point: In the OAI article on the bottom of pg.582 & the top of 583 it mentions the "Future work." My question is has there been any progress made in any of these areas? Is there anyway to find out about any follow-up work that has been done?This article is over 3 years old and with the way technology moves forward so quickly sometimes it would interesting to see how this work is progressing.

Blogs where I have posted:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=5477147704203276697&postID=6855452384905862491&page=1

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4527425204800506090&postID=5897482492346367573&page=1

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1306183455487090817&postID=6406286438303441296&page=1

4 comments:

Corrine W said...

The term "politeness" made me pause as well. Maybe the intention does not translate seemlessly but it is nice to know that someone out there has considered it. I tried, very briefly to imagine it that was not programmed in - scary. I also tried, briefly, to imagine why anyone would be so interested in mapping the deep web. I doubt my Spanish 1 homework assignments for this week are all that important in the grand scheme of things. I know my students sure don't think they are. Of course it would be nice if someone did.

Maggie said...

About 2 years ago, a major spammer was arrested in Seattle WA. Just be spamming, it was estimated that he made several million dollars. I don't know who buys things from these emails, but I guess it's big business. The news said expect to see your spam drop in content in the next few days (it did) but then expect it to get right back up to its previous numbers as other spammers fill in the hole left by "the king."

jean said...

Regarding the 'deep web,' I thought similarly as you--I didn't really know much about it before. It does seem surprising that Humanities would be the top search area; it is interesting to learn more about exactly what it is and what it is referring to.

Amy! said...

I really liked the Deep Web article as well. It was definitely the most accessible of the three for this week, if only for the illustrations.

I do like reading about how search engines work, but mostly, I don't really understand what's actually going on. I wish I could easily find an article that explains it like I was five. :)