Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Reading Assignment #9

Reading Assignment #9

An introduction to the Extensible Markup Language: At first I was able to follow the article along but then midway through a lot of the technical jargon really began to throw me.

--It was interesting to read that there it is impossible to devise a single coding scheme. Maybe someday we might see a universal coding system for all computers.

--As much as I still enjoy the whole “pulling the curtain away” aspect of computers this article just really had me confused for a while.


A survey of XML standards: Pt. 1. This article I found a little easier to follow along with.
-- I appreciated that it would mention something like XML 1.0 for example and if there was a change to it then it would discuss XML 1.1.

--I also liked that they included references and tutorials to follow along with for further reading on a subject.

--It was interesting to read about the Internet Engineering Task Force and the other groups who are pushing for standardization.

Extending your Mark-Up: This article actually helped me understand the first article much better.

--The examples made a lot more sense to me having them off to the side instead of within the text made it flow much better for me.

--The fact that this article helped show a lot of the differences between HTML and XML was big help.

--The goal of XML is to replace DTDs. It seems as though XML is easier to follow along with (Figure 8-9)

--The article at the end mentions developments to watch for I wonder what progress has been made in these areas of development?

XML Schema Tutorial: This tutorial like the previous tutorials from this web-site really was insightful. Although usually I like to print things out and read along with them, for some reason I found this one easier to read of off the screen.

--The differences between XML & DTDs were much easier for me to see in this article.

--Interesting to read about the restrictions for Datatypes. How everything has to be just so otherwise everything falls apart.

--Lots and lots of information to keep track of. I am looking forward to hearing the lecture on this material to help me further understand these concepts and hearing them put into some context.

Muddy Point: The tutorial went into great detail about the differences between XML and DTD and how much more XML can do than DTD, my question is…will the average computer user be able to tell the difference between DTD and XML? Someone who browses the web on a weekend for example.


Blogs where I have posted:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4181925387762663697&postID=6088639436438282257&page=1

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4527425204800506090&postID=4204912504825876593&page=1

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1475137707322366107&postID=351362268738673599&page=1

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1491308052360981630&postID=7743144313058728680&page=1

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=5477147704203276697&postID=2847749487420259130

5 comments:

Nicole Plana said...

Wow! Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate the support from fellow classmates. I like your breakdown as well.

Monica said...

I share your confusion with the first article and think I need the lecture too to clear a lot up. The technical jargon in all of the articles was way harder for me to follow than the stuff on HTML.

Maggie said...

Yes, also it was harder for me to follow. HTML I can get. But XML has more words in it, so I can get that. But how is it so different from HTML?

Amy! said...

I am also really looking forward to the lecture to help clear this subject up. I was not able to get very far in the articles before my eyes glazed over and my brain shut off, so I appreciate your breakdown of what was going on.

Jacqui Taylor said...

Standardization is a theme we keep hearing about again and again--I'm glad you brought it up in your blog post. But who will delineate the standardization, and how on earth will it ever be policed? Just think of all the trouble in different library catalogs of inconsistencies in authority control and such and you'll realize what an inconceivably (Fezik picture would go sooo well here) enormous task we're proposing in standardization.